I have always wanted to try making my own matcha scones, well partly because matcha scones sold in Japan are expensive, too.
I used Basic Kitchen Grade Matcha powder and the result is a beautiful green color. I also tried using Excellent Kitchen Grade Matcha and I have to say that the aroma is definitely stronger so I would recommend Excellent Kitchen Grade Matcha powder to those who want something more aromatic.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
3/4 cup small chocolate chips
3/4 cup cold milk (you can also substitute it with soy milk)
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons Basic Kitchen Grade Matcha powder
1. Pre-heat oven to 190C. Keeping the temperature not too high helps to keep the nice green matcha color.
2. Let’s make scones! Mix the all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and Basic Kitchen Grade Matcha powder. Make sure to mix them well.
3. Add diced cold butter and knead them into the powder mixture and it becomes a nice dry mixture.
4. Add the egg yolk and milk. Knead the dough well.
5. Add chocolate chips.
6. Press dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle with thickness of 2 cm (or 0.7 inch).
7. Cut into 6 wedges and place them on a baking sheet.
8. Bake for about 20 – 30 minutes. Can be served warm or cold.