Are you working with tea professionally or thinking about entering the tea industry? Is Japanese tea something you would like to learn more about? Then we have something just for you – a two-week Japanese Tea Master Course organized in collaboration with the Global Japanese Tea Association in Wazuka, Kyoto.
The aim of the course is to allow you to develop a full understanding of Japanese tea, as a result of which you will become more knowledgeable about the product and better equipped to guide your own customers.
The Japanese Tea Master Course covers a wide range of topics: from tea cultivation and production to history, culture and consumption; and provides a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience with Japanese tea. The program is delivered by Japanese tea experts, able to relay the deep going information and cultural background in an understandable and easy to follow manner. Moreover, the course is hosted in Wazuka, that has over 800 years of Japanese tea cultivation history and is one of the main producer of the famous brand – Ujicha.
Therefore, participation in the course will give you access to valuable insider’s information, otherwise inaccessible experiences, and course material that will be useful for the rest of your career.
Outline of Content
Day 1 – A welcome session, Japanese tea history overview and an exercise to recognize Japanese teas
Day 2 – An introduction to tea farming activities and primary processing followed by machine harvesting exercise and a visit to a tea processing factory
Day 3 – An overview of the current situation of Japanese tea, introduction to tea business as well as a professional tea tasting and evaluation exercise
Day 4 – An introduction to organic tea, secondary tea processing, and Matcha tea
Day 5 – The Japanese tea ceremony: introduction, demonstration and practice
Day 6 & 7 – Free time to explore Kyoto, Nara, Osaka or farther Japan
Day 8 – The tea components and their health benefits, as well a meeting with Japanese tea farmers
Day 9 – The importance of water, introduction of tea storing practices as well as a Hojicha roasting exercise
Day 10 – A visit to a tea auction, tea research centre and Matcha grinding factory
Day 11 – A traditional tea picking and rolling exercise
Day 12 – An introduction to rare Japanese tea, Senchado ceremony and a closing session
*Content may be revised
The course runs Monday to Friday. In 2019 it will be held twice in summer and autumn. The course dates are 24th June – 5th July, 2019, and 2nd September – 13th September, 2019.
To ensure personable learning and attentive delivery of the course availability is limited to 12 people.
The course is delivered in English.
About the Accommodation
During the course the accommodation is provided in a freshly renovated traditional Japanese guesthouse. The spacious rooms are built in a traditional Japanese style with tatami floor and futon bedding. There is also a tv and spacious storing cabinets with sliding Japanese doors. Towels and amenities are also provided. Rooms will be shared between 2-4 course participants of the same gender. 3 showers, 6 toilets (3 for women and 3 for men) and 3 washroom sinks are also shared between all course participants.
The cost of the course program is 185,000yen. The accommodation and catering will additionally cost 120,000yen.
What is included:
- Course classes and workshops delivered by Japanese tea experts
- Course handouts
- Course completion certificate
- Accommodation in a beautiful traditional Japanese guesthouse.
- Summer course: 23rd – 29th June and 30th June – 6th July (you will be able to store your luggage at the guest house during the weekend)
- Autumn course: 1st – 7th September and 8th – 14th September (you will be able to store your luggage at the guest house during the weekend)
- Catering: breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Transport during the course (to and from the course activity locations)
What is not included:
- Flight tickets to and from Japan
- Travel to Wazuka before the start of the course and from Wazuka after the end of the course
- Weekend accommodation
- Summer course: 29th June (Over the weekend we encourage you to explore close by cities: Kyoto, Osaka, Nara)
- Autumn course: 7th September (Over the weekend we encourage you to explore close by cities: Kyoto, Osaka, Nara)
- Travel insurance (please choose an insurance that does not exclude cover for farming activities and manual labour)
- Personal expenses
|Course Dates||Application Deadline||Notice of the Application Result|
|24th Jun – 5th Jul, 2019||31st Jan, 2019||15th Feb, 2019|
|2nd Sep – 13th Sep, 2019||31st Mar, 2019||15th Apr, 2019|
More than 2 months prior to the course start date: 100% refund
Less than 2 months but more than 1 month prior to the course start date: 50% refund
Less than 1 month prior to the course start date: no refund
If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org