for 4 portions
- 3 cups (approximately 400 g) of plain flour
- 1 cup (approximately 250 ml) of water
- 3 tbsp of Genmaicha Powder (15g)
1. Mix the flour together with the Genmaicha-or Hojicha powder and add a pinch of salt.
2. While stiring, add water slowly
3. Knead the dough until you get a firm texture. That will take you about 5 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into 4 pieces to process it easily.
5. Now use a rolling pin to flatten the dough as thin as possible
6. Cut the pasta into long stripes using a sharp knife or pasta machine.
7. Bring the pasta together with another pinch of salt to the boil in a large saucepan. If you don’t have a large saucepan boil the pasta in batches. If you cook too much pasta with too little water, they will stick together.
8. Let them simmer for about 5 min or until “al dente”.
We recommend you serve the Hojicha pasta together with freshly ground parmesan and cocktail tomatos. The Genmaicha Pasta with a fresh homemade mushroom sauce. The following recipe is our personal recommendation created by Obubu.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove of garlic
500 g mushrooms (any kind of mushroom will do)
2 cups (approximately 500 ml) vegetable stock
1 cup (approximately 250 ml) of white wine
bunch of rocket (rocula)
1 tsp of ginger
50g pine nuts (kernels)
salt and pepper
freshly chopped parsley or chives
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the the onions begin to turn brown. Add the mushrooms and stir for another 3 minutes. Deglaze by adding the vegetable stock and then add the white wine. When it starts simmering add the rocket and ginger. Put on a lid and let it steam for about a minute. Add salt and pepper to your taste. Finally refine the sauce with pine nuts and serve it together with the pasta. Sprinkle some freshly chopped parsley or chives on top and enjoy!
Created by Jennifer Swann